Musicians prepare to take the field for competitive season

Junior+Jonathan+Petesch+plays+his+flute+during+the+band%E2%80%99s+field+show+before+the+homecoming+football+game+on+Sept.+11.++Their+first+competition+was+on+Sept.+26%2C+where+they+took+first+place.+

Photo submitted

Junior Jonathan Petesch plays his flute during the band’s field show before the homecoming football game on Sept. 11. Their first competition was on Sept. 26, where they took first place.

During halftime of football games, another team takes the field. The marching band has also started their competitive season with their first field competition on Saturday, Sept. 26. The band brought back first place from the Smith Cotton contest.

The band’s field show this year includes performing to the songs “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars, “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going,” from the movie Dreamgirls, and “Want You Back” by Jackson 5.

“We have practiced very hard to get where we are today,” said senior Austin Reynolds. Reynolds, along with senior Claudia Schmitz are the drum majors.

Band had a camp over the summer from Aug. 3 to 20 from 6-9 pm.  Now, they practice four days a week from seven to eight in the morning.

They have to practice very hard because they have to learn three pieces of music in very little time.

Just like any sport, band is a family, and they all need each other.

“They are my homies,” said sophomore Naomi Meyers.

Even though the band practices can be very stressful, it can also be fun.

“It’s fun because it’s like we are all one big happy family,” said sophomore Emily Stantorf.

In band, there are many different roles they play, from instrumentalist, to drum major to color guard. They all have to work together to create their show.

There is a lot of work done in band and it could be a very good skill to have when they older.

“You can get scholarships from good colleges,” freshman Chloe Lux said.

There are many sacrifices made to be a part of the band.

“Many of our volleyball girls are going to miss the first game in one of our tournaments because they have a band competition,” said freshman Abby Foster.

They also have limit your priorities so you can attend all the band camps, practices, and performances. Band takes a lot of time and work.