Warsaw blood drive helps save almost 300 lives

Senior+Zach+Swiger+donates+blood+on+Friday%2C+March+6%2C+2015.+This+was+his+first+time+donating.+

Maria Miranda

Senior Zach Swiger donates blood on Friday, March 6, 2015. This was his first time donating.

Ninety-seven people participated in the blood drive hosted by student council on March 6. It was 16 more than donated last year and an impressive total of 104 pints were donated. Each person that donated helped save up to three lives, according to the American Red Cross.

Student council president, Megan Brown was proud of her school’s willingness to participate in the annual blood drive.

“A lot of people gave and they were all troopers. We had a lot of fun and saved a lot of lives,” said Brown.

This event was a way for faculty and students to save lives in an easy and convenient way. Junior Austin McCall was honored to share his rare blood.

“Being O positive is awesome because my blood can go to anyone! I myself can save anyone’s life because of it,” said McCall.

Jennifer Greene, the Student Council adviser, was amazed by how many people came out and donated this year.

“For anyone nervous about donating, it was a breeze. It was the first year I actually donated. I finally got the nerve to do it. It was a really cool experience,” said Greene.