Women’s basketball gains deserved respect in March Madness

The best 64 men and women college basketball teams in the nation faced off for March Madness and people all over the world created brackets to predict which teams that were going to move on in the tournament. People joined leagues to possibly make money on their brackets and many WHS students followed the tournament action carefully. 

This year, the men’s tournament champion was the University of Connecticut (UCONN) Huskies who won the tournament last year as well, they became the second school in history to win back to back national championships defeating their opponents by 15 or more points. The women’s tournament champion was the University of South Carolina Gamecocks won their third womens national championship in school history and completed a perfect season going 38-0.

Women’s college basketball became a huge deal all over the globe this year, and gained more viewership than it has ever had, and one of the big reasons for that is because of University of Iowa’s guard Caitlin Clark. Clark put women’s basketball on the map, as she broke many womens and mens NCAA records. Many students at WHS participated in creating a March Madness Bracket. I asked students who they thought would win each side of the bracket, and many students said they picked  UCONN to win the men’s side of the bracket,the majority of students picked Iowa to win the women’s side of the bracket.

This year’s March Madness tournament has been one for the ages with many upsets on both sides of the bracket. This year was huge for women’s basketball, and there were many big stories behind some of the games in the tournament. The faculty and students of WHS are excited for what madness is in store for next season.