Golf team ends season in District tournament

Sophomore Carson Bonner tees off. Bonner was six strokes away from qualifying for state.

The Warsaw Wildcat golf team gained multiple members with last year’s team only being nine and this year having 14. The team improved as the matches went on.

“The goal for next year is to start off strong and finish stronger,” coach Denis Larson said.

District was held in Springfield May 9. Sophomore Carson Bonnor shot six strokes off of making it to the state match. He finished 23rd with a score of 95. Senior Corbin Thirstrup shot a score of 118. Junior Coehen Walton shot a score of 104. Junior Ashlyn Laue shot a score of 119. And Senior Brayden Elmer shot a score of 120. Greenwood Came in first as a team. El Dorado came in second as a team. Warsaw finished 14th as a team. Districts was located in Springfield, Missouri this year. The individual district champion shot a total score of 79. 

Sophomore Carson Bonner believes that he is improving a good amount. 

“I’ve improved my golf score a lot this season. It’s been way better than the last one and shot a 95 in districts which was better than last year so yeah it’s been going great,” Bonner said.

“Next year should be exciting with the kids improving each match. They are doing great with improving their scores in districts and getting closer and closer to making it to state,” said Larson.

When playing golf the goal is to get the lowest score and try to get as close to par as possible. Par is the ideal number of strokes for a particular hole. A golfer wants to stay away from double par. A bogey is when a golfer is only one stroke over  the par of the hole they’re on. 

“You for sure want to stay away from double pars or worse. In districts, if you take a circle ten you don’t qualify for state and will hurt your team score,” said Larson.

For seniors it was their last season, they included Corbin Thirstrup, Alan Landsburg, and Brayden Elmer.

“The Seniors will be missed. They were a fun group to coach the last two years. I really appreciate the hard work and fun memories,” Larson said.