Staff Editorial: Manners stay or Manners go?

Manners and etiquette are something that is expected from all but usually forgotten by most. Most are expected to use manners towards teachers, elderly, and those who are older, and not just using manners when eating or talking but just being kind and polite. In most schools now, some students can be disrespectful, inconsiderate, and not appreciative of those who do so much for them. So the real question is should students have to use manners or is it just a thing of the past?

In an article “Social Skills Kids Need to Survive” from National Education Association says, “Kids need good social skills in order to succeed.”

The biggest problem seems to be that kids are not getting the proper lessons on how to be respectful at home. The parents send the kids to school and let teachers deal with the problem.

In an article “ Manners should be taught at home, not in the classroom” by Aya Khalil from the Christian Science Monitor says, “I do not believe teachers are required to teach their students how to have manners. I consider it part of the parents’ job to teach manners and respect – especially to older students.”

Having manners can get you a long way in life, and help you reach potential goals. They can aid you in a job interview to make a good first impression, being promoted, and being liked by your peers, teachers, and those around you.

National Education Association went on to say, “We owe it to our kids to teach them manners and etiquette. If we truly want to give all students an opportunity to succeed, we must stress the importance of acceptable, desirable behavior that will help them get and keep jobs, friends, and family.”

Just by walking in the halls you can see a lot, those certain kids who make it a priority to use manners are always the ones who make teachers happy, they show them respect and a positive attitude which always goes a long way. The old saying goes “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Treat people with kindness and respect and you will also be treated with kindness and respect. This goes for adults, friends and classmates.

Teaching kids at a young age can make a huge difference. Kids learn from their parents, if they see a parent who doesn’t care what others think of them or are rude to others, they will grow up to do the same. Make it a habit to use manners and give respect to others. Its called being kind, which can go a long way in the harsh world that we live in.