Golf team prepares to get back on the course

Sophomore+Ethan+Schomberg+attempts+a+putt+during+practice.+The+golf+team+had+their+first+match+in+Higginsville+on+March+21.+

Jonathan Petesch

Sophomore Ethan Schomberg attempts a putt during practice. The golf team had their first match in Higginsville on March 21.

This upcoming golf season for Warsaw High is showing plenty of potential with several golfers capable of shooting well and qualifying for postseason play if they work hard in the early season according to Coach Bob Foster.

The team started practicing Feb. 27, with 11 players making up Varsity and JV.

Foster is looking towards the upperclassmen to lead the team.

Sophomore Logan Davis will be returning to the team for his second season, an excellent example of a leader for the team, according to Foster.

“I enjoy the sport of golf and just being with the members on the team,” Davis said.

Davis’s goal is to make it to state, and to improve on his scores from last year.

This year the team gained some new faces.

Freshman Ally Wenberg joined the team this year with the hope of making varsity or JV.

Wenberg is open to trying all new sports and now that golf is open for her, she is eager to try it.

“I am wanting to participate in golf because it is a fun sport and I enjoy doing it. I am also looking forward to hanging out with my friends on the course,” Wenberg said.

This will be Foster’s fourth year coaching for Warsaw.

“I am looking forward to watching the golfers get better as the season progresses.  There are several golfers capable of shooting well and qualifying for postseason play if they work hard in the early season,” Foster said.

Junior Rayne Faulconer will be on the team for his third year, and is another player Foster is expecting to lead the team.

“We have a very strong varsity this year and we should do pretty well,” Faulconer said.

“We will be an interesting team to keep track of as the season progresses and I look for the second half of the season to show very improved scores as the athletes gain experience and settle into their games,” Foster said.

The team’s first match will be the Frostbite Scramble in Higginsville on March 21.