Featured Players

Students shine in their sports

Senior+Johnathan+Plybon+shoots+the+ball+over+his+defender.+The+Wildcats+played+the+Cole+Camp+Bluebirds+at+home.+

Makayla Mais

Senior Johnathan Plybon shoots the ball over his defender. The Wildcats played the Cole Camp Bluebirds at home.

Senior accepts the challenge to motivate team

Senior Johnathan Plybon played a big role on the basketball team. Plybon was the starting forward for the Varsity team.

“Defensively, he is our best on-ball defender and offensively he is a good shooter, but most importantly he is always motivated,” varsity boys basketball coach, Jason Ollison said.

Plybon has played basketball since sixth grade and has achieved many goals throughout the years.

“My goals in basketball are to inspire the underclassmen and to dunk,” Plybon said.

Plybon thinks he was chosen as the featured player of the month because he is a senior and a team leader.

“I chose Johnathan to be the featured player this month because he is a hardworking kid who always does the right thing. He is the type of player we need to turn the program around,” Ollison said.

“I love basketball because it’s fun,” Plybon said.

Junior leads the team by example

Junior Erica Flores was an example of a team leader on the girls’ basketball team. Flores was a starting guard for the varsity team.

“Erica is an important player within our team. Our team needs each player to work hard, play together, and make sacrifices for each other. Erica has willingly accepted that challenge,” varsity girls basketball coach Cody Morgan said.  

“Erica is the perfect example of what high school sports are about,” Morgan said.

“I think I was chosen as the featured player this month because I always try to use my knowledge of the game to help my teammates and myself out, and I’m always asking questions to learn more about the game,” Flores said.

“Erica is not always the fastest, strongest, tallest, most skilled player on the court, but she out works and smart who are,” Morgan said.

Her goals in basketball are to help out the team as much as she can and to learn as much as she can so that she can become a coach one day.

“I love basketball because it is a stress reliever for me. The game amazes me,” Flores said.

“Erica’s passion for the game is what I look for in players,” Morgan said.

Flores has been playing basketball since sixth grade.

Sophomore continues to work hard on the mat

Sophomore Nate Fauquier was a good leader of the high school wrestling team. Fauquier made it to state in wrestling this year.

“I choose Nate to be the featured player this month because he works hard and is very coachable,” wrestling coach David Hawks said.

Fauquier thinks he was chosen as the featured player because he was a leader. His goal for the season was to win at state. While he made it to the second day of the tournament, he fell short of his goal.

“He’s a great leader and leads by example. He is one of our captains,” Hawks said.

Fauquier loves wrestling because it keeps him in shape.

Sophomore Nate Fauquier wrestles opponent at Warsaw home meet. He was chosen as the featured player because he is a leader.
Deanna Garroutte
Junior Erica Flores drives the ball past her defender in the Lincoln game. Flores was chosen to be the featured player because she is a hard worker and a team leader.
Dracie Davidson